Friday, July 27, 2012

 
When I went to the Library to check out the book "Moby Dick" the librarian walked me over to the book shelf and pulled out a tiny paperback book and said " this one was donated, there is no return date on it, keep it until you are through with it" I don't suppose I looked like a "real" reader...someone who is passionate about books.
Who would except such a classic in a tiny paperback form? Its like asking a true southerner if they would like plain tea or sweet tea, at which point I gave her just such a look ...and asked don't you have a larger volume? She handed me the wonderfully large hardback book that made my passion for books smile like Sunday Morning. I would have never chosen this book had it not been for my son and we are both enjoying reading it. The writer Herman Melville is genius. It is a real adventure that you can step away from the computer with and hold in your hands and turn the pages anxiously awaiting what is to come. Reading the classics is a gift to yourself.